Every bicycle advocate and transportation planner dreams of going to Copenhagen and seeing its world-class bicycle infrastructure. My dream came true: I have been invited to join a study tour June 5-10, and will join Seattle elected officials, department of transportation staff, and other bicycle advocates in Copenhagen for five bicycle-intensive days!
- urban and suburban bicycle planning for commuting
- prioritizing bicycles over cars
- design of bicycle infrastructure including intersections, cycle paths and lanes, signals, signs and parking
- public campaigns and marketing
- bicycle safety
- bicycle path maintenance
- bicycle-specific technologies
- financial incentives for bicycle commuting
The study tour will be the easy part: applying the lessons from Copenhagen to Seattle and Washington cities will be the challenge and one the Bicycle Alliance will take as part of our Strategic Plan action plans.