Why Washington Bikes endorses
Washington Bikes endorses electoral candidates at all levels of government. Endorsement and support are given to candidates who commit to or have a record of making communities better for people on bikes — through growing local economies, improving health outcomes, or creating safer streets and roadways. Additionally, Washington Bikes makes endorsements of ballot measures which will benefit Washington communities through bolstering or protecting transportation choices, supporting outdoor recreation, and working to safely connect neighborhoods and cities.
Washington Bikes endorsement policy
All recommendations for endorsement are based on five factors:
- Positions are based on the written questionnaire or in-person interview.
- Issue Record is based on the candidate having a record of support or opposition to our interests.
- Approachability is based on whether the candidate expressed a willingness to work on safety, health and economic development issues germane to bicycling. Did the candidate demonstrate an openness and willingness to engage and are they approachable/accessible?
- Viability is an evaluation of electability, based on whether the candidate has a legitimate opponent, fundraising and organizing capacity, and endorsements.
- Experience is based on the candidate’s reputation and leadership positions within the community, years of elected service, or requisite experience to succeed in public office.
2022 General Election Endorsements
State Senate District 21: Marko Liias
State Senate District 26: Emily Randall
State Senate District 27: Yasmin Trudeau
State Senate District 30: Claire Wilson
State Senate District 34: Joe Nguyen
State Senate District 37: Rebecca Saldaña
State Senate District 40: Sharon Shewmake
House District 1: Shelley Kloba
House District 5: Bill Ramos
House District 22: Beth Doglio
House District 27: Jake Fey
House District 29: Sharlett Mena
House District 30: Jamila Taylor
House District 30: Kristine Reeves
House District 34: Joe Fitzgibbon
House District 34: Emily Alvarado
House District 36: Liz Berry
House District 36: Julia Reed
House District 37: Chipalo Street
House District 38: Mary Fosse
House District 40: Alex Ramel
House District 41: My-Linh Thai
House District 46: Darya Farivar
House District 47: Deb Entenman
House District 47: Chris Stearns
House District 48: Vandana Slatter
House District 49: Sharon Wylie
Endorsed Ballot Measures
2021 General Election Endorsements
2020 General Election Endorsements
2019 General Election Endorsements
2018 General Election Endorsements
2017 General Election Endorsements
More about Washington Bikes’ endorsements:
Following the 2016 merger of Cascade Bicycle Club (becoming a 501(c)(3) organization) and Washington Bikes (emerging as a 501(c)(4) organization), Washington Bikes assumed all endorsements and electoral responsibilities for bicycling statewide.