Why Washington Bikes endorses
Washington Bikes endorses electoral candidates at all levels of government. Endorsement and support are given to candidates who commit to or have a record of making communities better for people on bikes — through growing local economies, improving health outcomes, or creating safer streets and roadways. Additionally, Washington Bikes makes endorsements of ballot measures which will benefit Washington communities through bolstering or protecting transportation choices, supporting outdoor recreation, and working to safely connect neighborhoods and cities.
Washington Bikes endorsement policy
All recommendations for endorsement are based on five factors:
- Positions are based on the written questionnaire or in-person interview.
- Issue Record is based on the candidate having a record of support or opposition to our interests.
- Approachability is based on whether the candidate expressed a willingness to work on safety, health and economic development issues germane to bicycling. Did the candidate demonstrate an openness and willingness to engage and are they approachable/accessible?
- Viability is an evaluation of electability, based on whether the candidate has a legitimate opponent, fundraising and organizing capacity, and endorsements.
- Experience is based on the candidate’s reputation and leadership positions within the community, years of elected service, or requisite experience to succeed in public office.
2023 Primary Early Endorsements
Washington Bikes will endorse a handful of demonstrated elected bike champions ahead of the August primary election. We will announce primary election endorsements in May 2023. We will endorse candidates in a broader slate of races for the general election. To be considered for an endorsement in the general election, candidates must complete a questionnaire either via invitation or by request. To request a candidate questionnaire (after August 15) please email email@example.com.
2023 General Election Endorsements
Endorsed Ballot Measures
2022 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2022 General Election Endorsements.
2021 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2021 General Election Endorsements.
2020 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2020 General Election Endorsements.
2019 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2019 General Election Endorsements.
2018 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2018 General Election Endorsements.
2017 General Election Endorsements
Read up on Washington Bikes’ 2017 General Election Endorsements.
More about Washington Bikes’ endorsements:
Following the 2016 merger of Cascade Bicycle Club (becoming a 501(c)(3) organization) and Washington Bikes (emerging as a 501(c)(4) organization), Washington Bikes assumed all endorsements and electoral responsibilities for bicycling statewide.