Bicycle Travel & Tourism Development
Be a part of the economic success story of bicycle travel & tourism in Washington state!
When Washington Bikes great bicycle adventures are found in every corner of the state. Contact Washington Bikes to develop strategies to tap into the multibillion-dollar business of bicycle travel & tourism.
A recent study, Economic Analysis of Outdoor Recreation in Washington State, commissioned by Governor Inslee’s Task Force on Parks and Outdoor Recreation illustrates the significant economic impact of bicycling in Washington state.
Among the highlights:
- Bicycle riding is #3 in recreational activities by total expenditures in Washington state with over $3.1 billion spent statewide.
- Bicycle riding comes in as the fourth biggest recreational activity by measuring the total number of participant days occurring in Washington state.
- As compared to many activities where equipment purchases provide the significant economic impact to their activity, bicycle riders’ trip-related expenditures account for a whopping 96% of the economic impact of bicycling. This means that bicyclists like to contribute to local economies via shopping, lodgings, and eating. Bicyclists are “wallets on wheels.”
Attracting bicycle riders to your town, restaurant, store, or hotel is within your reach. Contact Washington Bikes to grow travel and tourism in your community.
Services offered by Washington Bikes to foster economic development for you include:
- Content creation focused on promoting bicycle rides and adventures in Washington state. Examples include country rides, wilderness loops, and overnight bike camping adventures.
- Application support for Bicycle Friendly Business and Bicycle Friendly Community designation.
- Production of the annual Washington Bike Summit that connects staff, advocates, and elected officials to grow bicycling statewide.
- Development of U.S. Bicycle Route System in Washington state
- Strategic advice and consulting for businesses, tourism bureaus and others to find opportunities to improve bike infrastructure, business services, and other economic development opportunities for bicycling in cities, towns, counties or regions.
- State and federal legislative education and policy work to grow economic development opportunities around bicycling and outdoor recreation.
- Production of multimedia promotions for businesses and places, such as Bike Snohomish County (see video below).