Washington Bikes advocates for bicyclists and a more bicycle-friendly Washington.
Our supporters are the key to our success in growing bicycling statewide. With your help our accomplishments include:
- Nearly $100 million in state funding for biking/walking projects in the last 10 years, from trails to school-zone safety improvements.
- Around a dozen laws passed (and a few bad ones blocked!) for safety, education, and penalties for dangerous driving.
- Over 56,000 kids so far and another 15-16,000 each year learn to bike safely thanks to our Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Education program for middle-school teachers in 42 school districts and counting.
- Designation of the first US Bicycle Route in the Pacific Northwest and on the West Coast, with more routes and bikeways to come.
- Publication of the first book of multi-day bike tours in Washington state to come out in over a decade.
Washington Bikes works to grow bicycling statewide and to create complete and healthy streets through education, developing more inclusive communities for cycling, building a coalition of organizations, and seeking to make bicycling accessible to everyone.
By 2020, bicycling is an everyday, mainstream activity in communities across Washington. Bicycling is recognized, accommodated and funded as a legitimate and essential mode of transportation. Washington residents embrace a healthy and active lifestyle that includes safe and convenient active-transportation options. As a result, Washington communities enjoy lower health-care costs, a cleaner environment and more transportation choices. Washington is a national model for innovative bicycle-friendly transportation facilities and programs.